Senior information systems officer (SAP Systems Engineering and Landscape), P5 (m/f)
Department/Office: Department of Management Strategy, Policy and Compliance Enterprise Resource Planning Project
Duty Station: NEW YORK
Closing Period: 21 April 2021
Job Opening Number: 21-Information Management Systems-DMSPC ERP-148676-R-New York (X)
Org. Setting and Reporting
The position is located in the Systems and Delivery team in the ERP Solution Division (ERPSD) of the United Nations Department of Management Strategy, Policy and Compliance in New York.
The team is responsible for the effective operation of the entire landscape of the SAP systems engineering with the related infrastructure connecting points required for the operation of the ERP Umoja Solution. The Senior Information Systems Officer (SAP Systems Engineering and Landscape) will report to the Solution Architecture and Delivery Management lead.
Umoja is a continuous organizational transformation, enabling high-quality, and cost-effective service delivery for evolving United Nations mandates, anywhere in the world. By updating skills, harmonizing practices and applying global technology, Umoja maximizes productivity of the UN's human, financial and material resources.
Umoja transcends organizational, geographical and functional barriers, fostering a culture of transparency, accountability, empowerment, sharing and unity across the United Nations. For more information on Umoja visit: http://umoja.un.org
The position will serve to ensure effective operation of the entire landscape of the SAP systems engineering with the related infrastructure connecting points required for the operation of the ERP Umoja Solution. This includes set up, configuration and technical architecture as well as their administration, maintenance and upgrade optimisation, specifically: the SAP engine [ECC], SAP Databases fBW, HANA, BI, SRM], applications and others systems [CRM, BPC, Fiori, SAP's Portal, Gateway, SLTj. The post also assures coordination across OICT and DOS on the related infrastructure operations in connection with performance, access, availability, optimisation and security. Along with this, he/she serves to reinforce the Project's capacity in respect of On-Premise and Cloud Integration as well as the interfacing, Internet and Mobile-related operations and will supervises the Security team of the ERP.
Under the guidance of the Solution Architecture and Delivery Management lead and following the ERP's overall workplan direction, the Senior Information Systems Officer (SAP Systems Engineering and Landscape) will be responsible for the following:
1. Architecture of the ERP SAP systems and Landscape administration:
• Participates in the overall design and implementation of the architecture of the ERP Umoja solution, such as technology and architectural roadmaps, network topologies, systems clustering, hardware and software capacity requirements, interfaces with external systems, high availability scenarios, disaster recovery procedures, and security-related considerations, including accessing modalities, platform services, and in respect of data management/usages.
• Leads the development of risk/benefit analyses associated with proposed enhancements and customizations based on well-documented planning and technical justifications.
• Co-leads the general IT planning and technology roadmaps of the ERP Umoja solution along with the leads of the development team and the Solution architect, inter alia.
• Co-leads the overall direction of work and technical work regarding integration of Cloud connection services.
2. Systems administration, operational engineering and performance optimization including coordination with the stakeholders responsible for the ERP's Hardware and Infrastructure:
• Assures technical analysis, correct planning and effective scheduling for the effective installation, maintenance and upgrades of the various SAP components of the ERP across landscapes, applications, software and hardware.
• Directs the team for efficient integration of SAP systems with external/internal applications, both SAP and non-SAP and optimal System performance, particularly high availability, using the relevant SAP and non-SAP tools, and supports disaster recovery arrangements and commitments and coordinates the related exercises.
• Determines capacity aspects of the SAP landscape of the Umoja solution to ensure proper performance planning [sizing, optimisation, software licensing, hardware, and the related contractual services].
• Leads the testing, documentation and operations to assure effective backup, recovery, disaster recovery, copy, storage and archiving, system refreshes as well as optimal scheduling of releases thereof, including activity protocols with appropriate controls to ensure the system's high availability performance and stability.
• Directs the operation and maintenance of the landscape and environments of the Umoja solution through optimal systems administration [data loading, copies, transport management, network and infrastructure maintenance, etc].
3. Oversight on infrastructure-related operations in coordination with the stakeholders responsible for the ERP's Hardware [OlCT and DOS]:
• Assures the planning and co-management of activities and requirements for effective infrastructure and hardware support to the ERP system, include optimization, upgrades and
• Assures that SAP Early Watch Analysis systemic solution is properly utilized to support the ongoing planning and monitoring of infrastructure and hardware operations for the maintenance and performance of the ERP system, including root cause assessment, optimization, lessons learned, etc.
• Co-manages audits in respect of Infrastructure and hardware with the rest of the ERP's teams and OICT.
4. Supervises the ERP Security and assures effective On-Premise/Cloud integration of SAP's technology roadmaps.
• Validates the plans for the ERP's security from a systems engineering and infrastructure perspective.
• Assesses the operating system, network and applications to verify vulnerability, risks and security controls.
5. Other duties and tasks:
• Oversees the correct production and establishment of relevant technical documentation and SOPs.
• Transfer knowledge to colleagues, keeping abreast of developments on new technologies.
Professionalism: Knowledge of SAP systems and technical areas. Knowledge of Basis and related SAP systems administration. Knowledge of SAP Solution Manager. Ability to provide SAP Landscape architecture advice and support. Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning. Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently.
Technological Awareness: Keeps abreast of available technology. Understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office. Actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks. Shows willingness to learn new technology.
Leadership: Serves as a role model that other people want to follow. Empowers others to translate vision into results. Is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives. Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support. Anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions. Drives for change and improvement; does not accept the status quo. Shows the courage to take unpopular stands. Provides leadership and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work; demonstrates knowledge of strategies and commitment to the goal of gender balance in staffing.
Vision: Identifies strategic issues, opportunities and risks. Clearly communicates links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals. Generates and communicates broad and compelling organizational direction, inspiring others to pursue that same direction. Conveys enthusiasm about future possibilities.
An advanced university degree (Master's or Doctorate degree, or equivalent) in Computer Science, information systems or related fields is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of ten years of progressively responsible experience in planning, design, development, implementation and maintenance of SAP systems and infrastructure in the context of an ERP implementation is required.
Experience managing Basis and SAP systems admin such as ECC, HANA, BW, SRM, BPC, CRM, and SolMan is required.
Experience advising on tech roadmaps of an SAP ERP and in directing operation of SAP system performance for high availability, capacity and sizing optimisation, as well as disaster recovery, networking, including the infrastructure, hardware requirements and software licensing is required.
Experience advising and supporting SAP Landscape architecture, along with component integrations and determinations is required.
Experience with end-to-end technical planning and implementation roll outs of deployments, including SAP SolMan system is required.
Experience with managing the SAP systems integration with ext/int non-SAP systems apps is required.
Experience with other SAP systems such as BPC, CRM, PO is desirable.
Experience with SAP Cloud integration with SAP On-Premise, particularly SAP IBP and S/4 HANA is desirable, including the validation of security aspects thereof from a systems engineering and infrastructure perspective.
Experience with client environments, including when deployed through Citrix, is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
Job openings advertised on the Careers Portal will be removed at 11:59 p.m. (New York time) on the deadline date.
For more information on how to apply, please click the “Apply” button: