Associate, Policy Project (m/f)
Associate, Policy Project (m/f), Zagreb
Requisition ID 28346
Office Country Croatia
Office City Zagreb
Division Banking Countries of Operations
Contract Type Short Term
Contract Length 16 months
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development was founded in 1991 when communism was crumbling in Europe and ex-Soviet countries needed support to nurture a new private sector and democracy. Today we invest to help build market economies from central Europe to central Asia and the southern and eastern Mediterranean. We are now the largest single investor in our region. Owned by 69 countries and two intergovernmental institutions, we provide project financing for banks, industries and businesses. We also work with publicly owned companies to support privatisation, restructure state-owned firms and improve municipal services. Wherever we are active, we promote policies that bolster the business climate.
Purpose of Job
The EBRD Zagreb RO intends to engage an Associate to support the RO in rolling out the Support for the Implementation of Green Transition Measures Under Croatia’s NRRP in the Area of the Reconstruction of Buildings Damaged by Earthquakes Project (the “Project”).
The overarching objective of the Associate assignment is to support the Operation Leader in securing the successful and efficient delivery of the Technical Cooperation Project at all stages of project cycle, from inception to delivery and reporting.
The Associate’s responsibilities will have an emphasis on implementation of the Project to enhance the green post-earthquake reconstruction of public buildings in Croatia and to advance the reforms and investments set forth under the NRRP.
The Associate will play a key role in liaising with different public stakeholders at the national and local level and monitoring other consultant’s work. Additional sub-objectives include supporting the engagement of the Beneficiary and public sector stakeholders, facilitating communication channels between consultants, and ensuring that project outputs meet the needs and expectations of the project beneficiaries.
The Associate is expected to work in close cooperation with the Operation Leader (“OL”) at the EBRD, keeping all necessary stakeholders informed on the progress of the Project. The Associate will contribute to the coordination of the kick-off meetings and help structure and set up the agenda for the Project.
The Associate will take responsibility for the tasks assigned to him/her by the OL which will require in-depth knowledge and field expertise related to policy and governance and, where possible and applicable, project management.
Accountabilities & Responsibilities
- Take responsibility together with the OL for the Project kick start, including the due diligence exercises, data collection and dissemination to the external experts as well as hands-on coordination on the project implementation;
- Support EBRD staff in the project procurement process, including by publicising procurement notices with potential consultancy teams and managing the appointment of selected consultant teams and their mobilisation following the selection process;
- Assist in developing relevant templates, analyses and training sessions (amongst others) to facilitate successful implementation of the Project as necessary;
- Assist coordination on the visibility activities of the Project;
- Prepare timely and comprehensive monitoring reports on the performance of Project for the EBRD internally, and for any related and relevant external stakeholders including the EU;
- As may be requested, work closely with the relevant authorities (in the public and private sector);
- Report to EBRD on progress of technical cooperation initiatives at a project and programme level, identifying any factors that could hinder successful delivery of the Fund objectives;
- Perform all such tasks as may be assigned by the OL with a special emphasis on implementation of NRRP measures and coordination with government/public sector;
- Ensure that all tasks are completed within the specified time frames to a high standard and in line with the policies, procedures and objectives of EBRD;
- Conduct quality checks of deliverables submitted and provide recommendations and relevant independent expertise via inputs into drafts of other consultant’s reports and deliverables where necessary; and,
- Work with the OL on training materials and presentations to be used for the training session delivered to the Ministry
- Relevant experience in the public sector and public-private-partnership, as well as in economics, finance, and/or governance.
- Expertise and record of accomplishment in implementing similar project(s) in Central and Eastern Europe is a plus.
- Previous experience working in international financial organizations is a strong plus.
- Practical experience in working abroad; experience in other European countries is preferred.
- Relevant experience in engaging effectively with senior officials in public institutions and business communities, as well as other professionals.
- Bachelor’s degree in the relevant areas of expertise (such as business, finance, economics, international sustainable development, governmental institutions, or other fields related to the scope of the project);
- Knowledge of international best practices and national approaches to policy-management in other major European countries;
- Master’s degree (preferably, with a focus on macroeconomics, policy & governance, or related fields);
- Project Management experience is considered a strong plus;
- Proven analytical skills, strong numerical and financial skills, with ability to interpret analytical information;
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Croatian;
- Strong leadership and persuasion skills;
- Significant computer skills including knowledge of spreadsheet packages;
- Results oriented;
- Ability to prioritise and structure tasks;
- Ability to operate with diligence; and
- Capacity to promote cooperation and support multilateral discussions across various public and private sector actors.
- Demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of the EBRD mandate. Passionate about public-private sector development.
- Ability to work in multi-cultural environment.
- Multi-tasking, self-initiative.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability and willingness to travel extensively within the country and, on occasion internationally.
Our agile and innovative approach is what makes life at the EBRD a unique experience! You will be part of a pioneering and diverse international organisation, and use your talents to make a real difference to people's lives and help shape the future of the regions we invest in.
The EBRD environment provides you with:
- Varied, stimulating and engaging work that gives you an opportunity to interact with a wide range of experts in the financial, political, public and private sectors across the regions we invest in;
- A working culture that embraces inclusion and celebrates diversity;
- An environment that places sustainability, equality and digital transformation at the heart of what we do.
Diversity is one of the Bank’s core values which are at the heart of everything it does. A diverse workforce with the right knowledge and skills enables connection with our clients, brings pioneering ideas, energy and innovation. The EBRD staff is characterised by its rich diversity of nationalities, cultures and opinions and we aim to sustain and build on this strength. As such, the EBRD seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities and works in an inclusive environment. The EBRD encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of the EBRD member countries to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. As an inclusive employer, we promote flexible working.