Copernicus Data Access Systems Operations Engineer (m/f)
EUMETSAT is at the forefront of providing near-real-time (NRT) data that are crucial for saving lives, protecting property, and fostering economic growth and productivity in Europe. By operating state-of-the-art systems for real-time distribution, we deliver large volumes of data to users worldwide, making a tangible difference in people's lives and contributing to the thriving European economy.
As part of our work supporting Copernicus, the Earth observation component of the European Union's Space Programme, we are looking for a talented engineer to join our team and contribute to our real-time applications across our operational data access systems. This includes our internal data dissemination services and our suite of real-time data dissemination services that serve up large volumes to users via satellite and terrestrial networks.
As a member of the Data Access Systems Operations team within EUMETSAT's Real-time Services and Operations division (RSO), you will become the main technical focal point for the operational, real-time data access for all Copernicus data. You will lead the engineering activities to deliver these critical services and guide their evolution in line with requirements from Copernicus.
Copernicus Data Access Systems Operations Engineer (m/f)
- VN 23/40
Location: Darmstadt, Germany
- Collaborate with internal customers to understand their requirements, propose compatible designs within the data access services portfolio, prioritise implementation in RSO, and provide expertise in our systems whilst helping establish efficient and cost-effective interfaces;
- Work closely with internal development teams to plan, coordinate, and implement changes to the dissemination systems;
- Ensure the seamless implementation of changes to data flows and data access methods without disrupting routine operations;
- Enhance understanding of system performance, lead diagnosis and troubleshooting efforts, and manage the introduction of tools to generate valuable insights;
- Support the team's adoption of agile and DevOps techniques to improve efficiency and collaboration;
- Guarantee alignment and coherence of data exchange approaches across missions, leveraging the data access services portfolio to match missions with the most suitable services;
- Expand the user base of real-time systems by understanding users' needs and steering routine operations to fulfil those requirements.
Skills and experience:
- Experience of large-scale distribution of high data volumes is essential, with a particular focus on multicast technologies being an advantage;
- Experience with high-availability, mission-critical systems, including 24x7 operations is highly desired;
- Ability to actively contribute to projects and technical budgeting is desired;
- Familiarity with agile and DevOps techniques would be a distinct advantage.
You will furthermore need:
- A proactive working style with ability to take the initiative on tasks and projects;
- An eye for detail, balanced by the ability to maintain a systems-level perspective on the larger picture;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with experience negotiating and managing relationships with internal and external customers/ stakeholders.
The initial contract will be of 4 years’ duration, with subsequent 5 year contracts being awarded thereafter, subject to individual performance and organisation requirements. There is no limit to the amount of follow-up contracts a staff member can receive up to the EUMETSAT retirement age of 63 and there are certainly opportunities to establish a long career perspective at EUMETSAT. This post is graded A2/A4 on the EUMETSAT salary scales. The minimum basic salary for this post is EURO 6,903.21 per month (net of internal tax but excluding pension and insurance contributions) which may be negotiable on the basis of skills and experience. The salary scale provides for increments on the anniversary of taking up employment, and scales are reviewed by the EUMETSAT Council with effect from 1 January each year. In addition to basic salary, EUMETSAT offers attractive benefits. Further information, including salary details, is available on the EUMETSAT web site.
EUMETSAT is committed to providing an equal opportunities work environment for men and women.
Please note that only nationals of EUMETSAT Member States may apply. The EUMETSAT Convention requires that Staff shall be recruited on the basis of their qualifications, account being taken of the international character of EUMETSAT.
EUMETSAT is Europe’s meteorological satellite agency. Its role is to establish and operate meteorological satellites to monitor the weather and climate from space - 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. This information is supplied to the National Meteorological Services of the organisation's Member and Cooperating States in Europe, as well as other users worldwide.
As an intergovernmental European Organisation, EUMETSAT has 30 Member States (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey and the United Kingdom.)
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED IN ENGLISH. WE WILL BE UNABLE TO CONSIDER APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED IN OTHER LANGUAGES.
EUMETSAT is an international organisation employing staff from across all 30 member states and this role is being advertised on multiple international job boards, but please note that this role would be based in Darmstadt, Germany and would require international applicants to relocate if successful. Remote working is not an option for this role.
More about us
EUMETSAT’s role is to establish and operate meteorological satellites to monitor the weather and climate from space - 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. This information is supplied to the National Meteorological Services of the organisation's Member and Cooperating States in Europe, as well as other users worldwide.
EUMETSAT also operates several Copernicus missions on behalf of the European Union and provide data services to the Copernicus marine and atmospheric services and their users.
As an intergovernmental European Organisation, EUMETSAT can recruit nationals only from the 30 Member States (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey and the United Kingdom).